(Section 56 of the Marriage Act, 2014)
These are marriages between persons who at the time of marriage professed the Hindu faith and the marriage performed in accordance with the Hindu religious rituals governed under the repealed Hindu Marriage and Divorce Act, Cap 157.
Before you fill the online application form found at https://www.ecitizen.go.ke,
ENSURE THAT YOU HAVE THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTS READY FOR ATTACHING/ UPLOADING:
- A certified copy of the Marriage Certificate issued under Cap 157 (Certification to be done by the Hindu Council or the Sikh Supreme Council);
- A forwarding letter from the Hindu Council of Kenya or the Sikh Supreme Council;
- A letter from the temple confirming that the marriage took place;
- Copies of identification documents (Valid Passports or National Identification Cards);
- Certificate of Registration as a Citizen of Kenya where needed (Foreign Nationals born outside Kenya but have obtained Kenyan citizenship through registration);
- If a holder of an Indian passport, either a Certificate of No Impediment or a Letter of Surrender of Passport to the Indian High Commission; and
- Coloured Passport Photo (1 each)
After submission of the application, both Parties are required to book an appointment on the e-citizen online platform and appear before the Registrar of Marriages for submission of original documents and interview.
Upon approval, the applicants will be required to pay a fee of Kshs. 3,900/= on the e-citizen online platform.
Timelines: Within 14 days from the date of payment.