(Section 32 of the Marriage Act, 2014)
This is a certificate issued by the Office of the Registrar of Marriages confirming that a Kenyan national has no existing marriage record and therefore qualifies to get married outside of the country.
The application for this certificate has to undergo a mandatory 10 days display at the nearest Registrar’s office dependent on the applicant’s last place of residence.
Before you fill the online application form found at https://www.e-citizen.go.ke,
ENSURE THAT YOU HAVE THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTS READY FOR ATTACHING/ UPLOADING:
- Applicant’s certified copy of Passport
- Applicant’s certified copy of Birth Certificate (ENSURE THAT THE NAMES APPEARING ON THE BIRTH CERTIFICATE AND NATIONAL IDENTITY CARD/ PASSPORT ARE PROPERLY ALIGNED- NAMES SHOULD BE THE SAME AND APPEAR IN THE CORRECT ORDER);
- Coloured passport-size photos – one each
- Fiancée’s certified Passport copy
- Copy of Death Certificate (if widow or widower)
- Copy of Divorce Decree Absolute (If the partner had been married before and divorced)
- Sworn affidavit if the Death Certificate or Divorce Decree is more than two (2) years.
Certification of the above documents can be done by the Office of the Registrar of Marriages, Kenyan Foreign Missions and Embassies or a notary public outside Kenya.
Upon approval, the applicant will be notified to pay a fee of Kshs 10,000/= on the online platform
Timelines: 15 days if notice is placed in Nairobi.
20 days if notice is placed outside of Nairobi.