The Registrar of Marriages may dispense with notice requirement under the Marriage Act, 2014 where there is sufficient reason to do so supported by requisite documents.
The license is issued at the discretion of the Registrar who must confirm that:
- Neither party is within a prohibited relationship;
- Neither party is below the minimum age for marriage; and
- Neither party is married to another person.
A special license applies to Civil, Christian and Hindu marriages where:
- One or both parties are foreign nationals;
- The marriage is taking place outside a gazzeted location for example a garden wedding, hotel among others
- A Civil marriage by Special License is conducted within Fourteen (14) days from the date of approval;
- Special License for Christian and Hindu marriages are issued within three (3) days from the date of approval;
- Both applicants must be resident in Kenya for a period of at least seven (7) days preceding the application.