Civil Litigation Services
The Civil Litigation Department has together with the International Law Department been involved in the defence of International Arbitrations. The successful defence of these arbitrations has resulted in savings to the exchequer as follows:-
- Cortec ICSID Arbitration was USD. 2,000 million claim against Kenya which Kenya Prevailed totally. This represents a saving of approximately Kshs.200,000,000,000;
- Kinangop ICC Arbitration was a USD 310 Million claim against Kenya which Kenya Prevailed totally. This represents a saving of approximately Kshs.31 Billion;
- KETRACO LCIA Arbitration was approx. Euro 55 Million Claim against Kenya, Kenya knocked off over Euro 37 million and interest from the claim. This represents a saving of approximately Kshs.4.181 Billion;
- GDC LCIA Arbitration was a USD 2.7 million claim against Kenya and Kenya knocked off USD 2.5 million from the claim. This represents a saving of approximately Kshs.250 Million.
- WalAm Energy Inc ICSID Arbitration was a USD 339.6 million claim against Kenya. The claim was dismissed in its entirety with the Claimant ordered to bear its own legal fees and expenses and the entirety of the costs of the arbitration. This represents a saving of approximately Kshs.37 Billion.
The Department participates in events such as those organized during:-
- Public Service Day
- Judiciary open days
- Court users meetings and activities.