Registrar of Societies
The Registrar of Societies deals with the registration of all types of societies.
Societies are registered and exempted from registration under the Societies Act, Cap 108 which came into operation on 16th February, 1968 to make provision for the registration and regulation of Societies operating in Kenya.
Defination of Society
Section 2 of the Societies Act defines a society to include: a club, company, partnership or association of ten or more persons whatever its nature or object that is established in Kenya or has its headquarters or chief place of business in Kenya and any branch of a society.
For a society to acquire legal status it must be registered in accordance with Section 4 of the Act.
For more services offered by Registrar of Societies
The Registrar of Societies is responsible for:
- Registration of Society;
- Confirmation of Registered Officials (where there are no disputes);
- Registration of Books;
- Registration of Newspapers and Magazines;
- Application for amendment of constitution of a society;
- Application for change of name of a society;
- Change of officers or titles of office; and
- Confirmation of status of society for issuance of license/marriage book to church ministers (where there is no dispute).